Human Resources » Information for New Staff

UNSW Online Orientation

All new staff at the School of Medical Sciences are required to complete the UNSW Online Orientation. Other useful information is available on the UNSW Medicine New Staff Orientation webpages.

Staff ID Cards

The Staff ID Application form is available on the FM Assist website. The completed form must be authorised by the Research Manager, Kristin McBride or the School Manager, Romaric Bouveret (ext 53799) before you take the form to FM Assist (Level 2, Mathews Building) for processing.


Staff requiring a key should contact SoMS Administration Team. A budget check will be performed before placing a Works & Services order.


Staff may apply for a parking permit or use the metered parking around campus (at the listed cost). Any staff member parking on campus must do so in a recognised parking space. Parking in a non-parking area or remaining in a metered parking space after the meter has expired, will incur a NSW Government parking infringement notice. UNSW Medicine will not support payment of any parking infringements from University funds under any circumstances. This applies to infringements that may be incurred by staff, students and any visitors to the campus.


myUNSW is the gateway to the services and information you need as a UNSW staff member. You can view pay advices & leave balances, apply for leave, access student academic administration resources (for academic staff), among other services and information.


SiMS stands for SoMS Information Management System. It holds information on SoMS staff including their contact details, work group associations, supervised postgraduate students and progress reviews. SiMS is available to all SoMS staff and postgraduate students via a zPass login. To access SiMS, visit

If you have not previously registered your details in SiMS, please complete the online SOMS information system access form, which will be submitted to the SoMS Information Manager, Mike Williams.

Health & Safety and Training

New people to SoMS must complete the on-line OHS Awareness Training and on-line Ergonomics Training. If you are working in a research laboratory you must also complete Green Lab Training, Lab Safety Training and any other safety-related training relevant to the work you will be doing. If you are a supervisor of staff or students you must complete OHS for Supervisors training. For further details and information on how to enrol in training courses go to the Health & Safety Induction and Training page.

Leave Applications

The following procedure must be used by staff wishing to apply for leave (sick leave, recreational leave, long service etc.) using the electronic self-service system on MyUNSW:

  • Check with your immediate supervisor that it is convenient for you to take the leave.
  • Login to myUNSW. Under "My Staff Services<Self Service" on the menu, click on "Leave<Apply for Leave" to complete your leave application. Please select Romaric Bouveret as your supervisor.

This will allow the School to keep the necessary HR records for auditing purposes. Julie will check with your supervisor that this leave period has been approved by them.